Subject: Re: KNF and braces (was: Re: EGCS 1.1 UPDATE rev. 4)
To: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@phoenix.net>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/18/1998 14:54:39
> How do you feel about "extraneous" parentheses to force or clarify
> expression evaluation order? I parenthesize obsessively, for exactly the
> reasons that I {} everything - the two reasons above.

I use them all the time.   I do (sizeof foo) - 1 instead of sizeof foo
- 1, for example.   Parentheses don't generally consume vertical
space.

I don't buy the notion that extra braces increase reliability.   Only
a complete moron or a vi user would ever make the mistake of thinking
that something was part of a conditional statement when it was not.

Okay, so please flame me about the vi comment privately - some of my
best friends are vi users...   :')   The reason I mention it is that
vi doesn't auto-indent, which leaves people open to making stupid
nesting errors that would never occur if they used a real editor.
Oops, there I go again - sorry.   :')

			       _MelloN_