Subject: EGCS 1.1 UPDATE
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/17/1998 16:21:10
Note that until other bugs are weeded out, the building of the egcs-related
directories in src/gnu/usr.bin/egcs and src/gnu/lib wil not be turned back
on (even with USE_EGCS set).  Note that this status report is as of this
second, so you will likely have to wait until the next sup update to get the
changes.

Please do not submit PR's on egcs just yet, as it's known not to work in
several places.  But a post to tech-toolchain@netbsd.org would be nice.  :)

In summary:

- alpha: Works.  Banged head against wall with five stages of build, and
  it did not fall apart.  (How eerie that Alpha would be the first working
  platform.)

- arm32: Problem with -msoft-float not turned on by default, which I'm
  investigating.  Otherwise works.  Will keep updated.

- i386: Set up but not yet tested.  A few people are already testing it out.

- m68k: Set up but not yet tested.  I need volunteer(s).

- mips[el]: Set up but not yet tested.  I need volunteer(s).

- mipseb: Not yet set up.  Some diffs need to go in for this.

- ns32k: This is unfortunately a big problem.  Our gcc 2.7.2 was very hacked
  from the mainline gcc sources, and I don't know what changes needed to go
  where.  Right now, ns32k.{c,h,md} are a big mess.

- powerpc: Set up but not yet tested.  I need volunteer(s).

- sparc: When compiling PIC code, triggers an obscure bug in our normal
  assembler.  Later on, gas 2.[89] should understand the construct, but I'm
  trying to put together a fix that will work inside the existing as.

- vax: Set up but not yet tested.  I need volunteer(s).

- libgcc: Should build fine; it's now in src/gnu/lib/libgcc.

- libf2c: Now called libg2c, and there's no build setup for it yet.

- libobjc: No build setup for now; it's being moved to src/gnu/lib.

- libstdc++: Build setup is broken until it is updated for egcs 1.1.
  (`I'm working on it.')