Subject: Re: resolv.conf changed recently?
To: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@phoenix.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/17/1998 14:27:01
Jay Maynard writes:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 1998 at 10:16:06AM -0400, gwr@netbsd.org wrote:
> > This question come up enough that it might be worth having
> > the code that interprets resolv.conf convert 0.0.0.0 to
> > 127.0.0.1 for you (or complain, or both).
>
> How about having it complain, and also turn it into the real IP address of
> le0 (or whatever the first non-lo interface it encounters)? As someone else
> mentioned, this makes things behave better in the presence of DNS
> forwarding...

No... :-)  In the case of multiple interfaces, if an interface goes
offline for some reason, I don't want it being the source of my DNS
queries.  If a the official loopback address isn't acceptable, then
perhaps we should suggest configuring a local address as an alias
on lo0.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.