Subject: Named has corrupted cache data, bug or not?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/12/1998 16:38:29
	Hi.  I have a long-running named running on our mail server as a
caching name server.  (This is Under NetBSD 1.2G with sources as of
September 1 1997 or so.)  The named is 4.9.3-P1.
	I don't know if this is a question for the bind-workers group or not,
but what happens is that this rogue host, crescentcap., without any domain
qualifier except the trailing dot, and I'm sure it's not a top level
domain, keeps getting assigned to various domains as a 0-preference mail
exchanger with MX lookups.  What happens is that sendmail will try to
forward a piece of mail to some place like yahoo.com and the name server
will say that the mail exchange host for yahoo.com is crescentcap.  Since
there is no host, crescentcap. the mail will be returned with a host
unknown error to the original sender.  When the time to live expires for
that domain, yahoo.com for example, the correct address is looked up from
the authoritative source and cached again, and the mail begins flowing to
that destination without a hitch.  However, crescentcap. seems to lurk in
the bowels of the cache somewhere, only to resurface on some other domain
at a later point.
	Before I restart the name server, is there any data I could collect
for the bind workers to help them diagnose this funny bug?  Note: the named
process has been running since February 5, 1998.  Also, if the bind-workers
mailing list is more appropriate for this mail message, could someone tell
me what it is?
-thanks
-Brian