Subject: Re: Bootblock Problem with -current
To: None <rvb@sicily.odyssey.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/12/1998 12:42:07
Your message dated: 11 Aug 1998 16:21:23 -0400
>Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se> writes:
>
>> > I noticed that `installboot' and the `biosboot.sym' sources changed about
2
>> > weeks ago. Did it break then? Are there people out there that have tried
>> > installing a new bootblock recently, and have no problems with it?
>> No, I had the same experience as you.  I installed the new boot blocks
>> on my lap top and now I can only boot from floppy.
>
>This is rather strange.  I have sources from 08/03.  I just built a
3rd of August (denoted 03/08 in my country)? Hmmm, a bit strange.
My sources are then only a few days more recent. With those installboot
builds just fine, but is aparently broken. I guess that means the problem
is not really in the installboot source, as that one hasn't changed
so recently I think.

>serial line debug biosboot.sym as well as regular biosboot.sym.
>They both work fine.  I did notice that installboot did not build
>so I used the one from my old 07/07 build.
Would it be possible to use an even older `installboot' with a
-current biosboot.sym? Say `installboot' from 1.3.1 (which I still
have lying around here)? Are could that have potential destructive
consequences...

>I intend to commit some changes to improve/tweek the serial boot
>process.  I don't think they should effect the above issue.
Well I guess not. Your experience seems to indicate the problem is
with the current installboot not with the current biosboot.sym...

You probably noticed from the above, that I'm pretty clueless when
it comes to tracking this thing down. So, I'm most likely not the
one to solve this, but I'm willing to assist if some testing is
needed or whatever...

Feico.