Subject: Re: trouble booting Aug 1 kernel on mac68k
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
From: John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/10/1998 17:44:47
Brett Lymn wrote:
> According to Frank van der Linden:
> >
> >It seems to be an MI problem. People on 3 different architectures have
> >reported this now, with or without ncr controllers. I'm also seeing
> >a problem with an aic7880. The system doesn't boot from it, so I
> >couldn't say if that is also a problem, but what I am seeing is that
> >xmcd sometimes hangs, waiting in vain for a scsi command to finish.
> >Booting a kernel from July the 30th solves the problem.
> >

> I too am seeing this on a i386 machine with a ncr.  If I wait for long
> enough I am rewarded with a script timeout but the thing never boots
> regardless.

Ross Harvey posted a message to the alpha mailing list a few days ago
stating that he'd fixed a race condition in the ncr driver that was
preventing alphas (including mine 8-() from booting for the last 10 days
or so.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137