Subject: Re: Slow backup performance...
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: current-users
Date: 08/02/1998 20:37:07
"Nathan J. Williams" <nathanw@MIT.EDU> writes:

> 	While that might contribute, there's definitely a non-TCP
> problem with dump; just yesterday I observed about the same problem on
> a very similar Alpha box, dumping one disk partition onto a file on
> another partition.
> 	More investigation is warranted.

Speaking of dump problems: there's a bug in restore that causes the
restore process in "dump 0f - /foo | (cd /bar; restore xf -)" to die
before it can finish setting date stamps on the extracted files.  It
is, of course, dependent on dump sizes, and is timing sensitive, but
I've got several hundred files with the wrong date stamps here that
were caused by this problem.  A friend of mine says he's observed the
same thing in FreeBSD.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"