Subject: Re: pine behaving wonky
To: Segmentation Violation. Core dumped. <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/01/1998 19:46:45
On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Segmentation Violation.  Core dumped. wrote:

: 2. It's NOT the pkgized version, it's as imported directly from UW, using
: 	"neb" as the build target.

BTW:  I highly suggest using the pkgized version.  It has a shared library
that shares code between pico and pine.  (And allow-changing-from is now a
runtime settable option.  :)

:  * Every time I've had trouble with pine, it's turned out that someone has
:  * removed <unistd.h> because there are mythical platforms which choke on it,
:  * and it's getting off_t wrong.

Gets off_t perfectly right for me on sparc and arm32 - and off_t is twice
the size of int on those platforms.

:  * I guess I'd ktrace the bugger and see what it's doing.
:
: Been there, done that.  That's how I found out it was writing whole bunches
: of 'U' in 8k blocks to disk.

The `U' stuff was a known problem in strange circumstances in Pine 4.00 (and
in every circumstance in Pine 4.01) that was supposedly fixed, and was from
what I could make of the code diffs.  I haven't seen it since 4.02 came out.