Subject: Re: On wscons, mice, and keyboards
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd1.cygnus.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/29/1998 11:49:55
Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se> writes:
> I think a harder to do this way are keyboards.  I'm not sure
> how to persuade X to use a multiplexor for the terminal and
> get it to work.  But I've not looked into the keyboard issue
> much yet.

Keyboards may be Hard.

X still likes getting raw key data (scan codes), right?  What happens
if you have two keyboards, which have different scan codes (or the
equivalent)?  You can't easily mux those things, because then X (or
any application that wants raw, uninterpreted data) needs to know how
to demux them.

Similarly, what if you try to mux a relative-motion mouse and an
absolute-position device that presents itself as a "mouse-like"
device?

In general, I think the only sane way to handle this is to have the
ultimate consumer of the data be responsible for interpreting and
combining separate input streams.  I.e., I still think that putting
the machinery into X is the right way to go.

cgd