Subject: Re: On wscons, mice, and keyboards
To: None <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: current-users
Date: 07/29/1998 02:32:40
> Perhaps the pseudo-device should be brought in automatically by
> configuring the mouse drivers, and the mouse drivers register
> themselves with the generic mouse driver when they're found, so the
> generic driver can provide a list of real mice that were found....

Just to try it out I implemented the "mouse concentrator device".  It
turned out to be very straight forward and it is only about 250 lines
of code added to the wsmouse driver.

This is what my config file looks like now

ums*    at uhub?
wsmouse* at ums? pseudo 0
wsmouse* at psmi? pseudo 0

The 'pseudo 0' says that the mouse should send it events to
pseudo-mouse 0.  The pseudo mouse shares the major number with the
wsmouse, I simple used minor numbers >= 128 for the pseudo mice.

You can, of course, have more than one pseudo mouse.  If a mouse has
the pseudo locator it can still be opened as usual if the pseudo mouse
is not open, it will then behave as usual and the events will not be
sent to the pseudo mouse if the latter is opened.

I have three mice (one PS/2 and two USB) connected to my machine and
this is definitely what I want.  If enough people like this I will
commit it, otherwise I'll just keep it as a local change because I
need it.

I will do the same for keyboards soon.

        -- Lennart