Subject: Syslog output to a named pipe.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/1998 16:51:06
I had a requirement for a mkfifo pipe as the input for a program I'm
working on.  I noticed that our syslogd did not work well with pipes.
The program will just hang when trying to open the pipe.

I hacked syslogd to be able to use pipes.  The fix isn't very robust,
does little to no error checking, but it was easy and didn't break
syslogd in an appreciable way.  One question I have is, is there any
interest in such a beast?  I'm using it for a 'authlog' scanner for
hacker monitoring without having to go through the trouble of keeping
the file state available all the time.

The other question, of course, is "was there a better way to do it?"

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom