Subject: Re: thread-safe libc?
To: Brian C. Grayson <>
From: Guenther Grau <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/24/1998 11:24:58
Brian C. Grayson wrote:
> wondering what the thread-safe status of our libc is:  is it
> known to be thread-safe?  Are certain routines known to be
> thread-safe?  Or known to _not_ be thread-safe?
>   Also, in the new version, the comment about the modifications
> only mentions that they were done for optimization reasons.  Is it
> worth doing a PR to have the comment updated to also mention
> thread-safe-ness?

I think we need an additional attribute in the man pages explaining
the state of MT-LEVEL, e.g.

gorgo% uname -a
SunOS 5.5.1 Generic_103640-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1
gorgo% man gethostbyname

gethostbyname(3N)       Network Functions       gethostbyname(3N)
     See the subsection "Reentrant Interfaces" in the DESCRIPTION
     section of this page.

gorgo% man atoi

To get this right, we probably have to audit our src-tree again :-(