Subject: Re: load balancing
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/23/1998 08:21:38
> >On the other hand it does TCP/IP in an interesting manner - the packet
> >is send to the kernel using DMA directly to the place where need - if
> >I understood the concept right.
> Well, if you can pick an address to transfer directly to/from you might
> as well pick a useful one!?!?!?

Having done a HiPPI driver for a super computer (where the HiPPI
hardware was comparatively cheap ;-), the bit about DMA directly to
the target is not a requirement of the HiPPI standard itself, but it's
pretty much necessary if you want to achieve anything like HiPPI
throughput.  (A driver-and-interface which can do TCP/IP dma to the
user's buffer is a pretty neat trick, though!  The interface I did
could only manage to spew raw HiPPI data into user buffers, since I
didn't want to completely rewrite TCP/IP...)