Subject: thread-safe libc?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/23/1998 02:02:30
  I am using a substantial portion of NetBSD's libc implementation
as the C library for a simulated PowerPC SMP system.  Today I
tracked down a simulated seg-fault to the fact that an old version
of random() (random.c 1.5, from July 1997) was not thread-safe.
I've since noticed that the version in -current is, but was
wondering what the thread-safe status of our libc is:  is it
known to be thread-safe?  Are certain routines known to be
thread-safe?  Or known to _not_ be thread-safe?

  Also, in the new version, the comment about the modifications
only mentions that they were done for optimization reasons.  Is it
worth doing a PR to have the comment updated to also mention
thread-safe-ness?

  Happy hacking....

  Brian
--
Brian Grayson (bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu)
PhD Candidate, Electrical and Computer Engineering, UT at Austin