Subject: It hibernates! (was: Re: things I noticed with NetBSD on my laptop)
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 07/23/1998 02:18:28
On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 03:05:47PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > > hibernation, but not sure if it's also the case for your ThinkPad.
> > The Thinkpad (560X) does indeed use a hibernate file.  I'd imagine
> > that you need to boot up win95 to get that straight.  I presume the
> > machine does a vanilla suspend/resume correctly.
>
> I think the hibernate file writes to a DOS partition, but you don't
> need DOS to create a DOS partition...

On a ThinkPad 310E, you really need a DOS partition for the hibernation
file.  I repartitioned the disk and created a smallish (80 MB) partition
for the hibernation file.

I couldn't figure out how to format that partition under NetBSD, so I
had to use an msdos floppy and format.com to do it.  I thought I'd
just create the hibernation file using dd under NetBSD, but Soren S,
Jorvang pointed out that this file has to be created using a special
utility.

I grabbed usm31dwx.exe from the IBM www pages and ran the sleepmgr.exe
with option /C under DOS.  This created a hidden file (acr_0v.dat) in
the DOS partition root directory (sized 51447808 bytes for 48 MB RAM and
1 MB display RAM + SRAM + some other info).

After all this (and the loss of some hair), hibernation mode works again.

Thanks to all who helped!

Now, if I could make the battery gauge and ym sound driver work 100%
well.... ;)

  -jm