Subject: Re: load balancing
To: Paul M. Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/22/1998 21:32:59
> Chris may well find HiPPI to pricey (I did mention it was more
> expensive).  If memory serves, each HiPPI NIC ran ~$2500 and a
> loaded switch was in the $20K-$25K range.  Not your typical SOHO
> choice/option *8^) but, it was something he could look into.

 I dont think HIPPI is that expensive. CERN does build their own cards
based on PCI and glasfibre, and I happen to know the guy who is writing
the Linux-driver for them. If intrested, I pass you the email.

 HIPPI though is probably not an option for distributed computing. On the
other hand it does TCP/IP in an interesting manner - the packet is
send to the kernel using DMA directly to the place where need - if I
understood the concept right.

--
Markus Illenseer
NetBSD 1.3.2 CD-ROM "Gateway! Vol. 3" now shipping!  See:  http://core.de/