Subject: Re: load balancing
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul M. Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/22/1998 12:06:11
 Johan Ihren <johani@pdc.kth.se> wrote:

>I don't agree with this.

I'm not sure what you don't agree with *8^)?  Chris was looking for
"thoughts", which I took to mean "other possibilities".

Chris may well find HiPPI to pricey (I did mention it was more
expensive).  If memory serves, each HiPPI NIC ran ~$2500 and a
loaded switch was in the $20K-$25K range.  Not your typical SOHO
choice/option *8^) but, it was something he could look into.

Chris hinted he wanted price/performance but, didn't give any clue
as to his budget.  He might be able to tolerate a pricier option ...
maybe not.  I assumed he was looking for alternatives so he could make
a rational analysis of his options.  I didn't tell him or anybody else
that it was "the only way to go"!  *8)

I don't remember if NetBSD supports the Zynx card (? I think that's
the right name?).  It has 4 fast ports per card, with the daughter
card it acts as a switch.  Again, not as cheap as the NetGear 1 port
10/100 cards (under $30/card) at ~$1200 for 4 ports.  BUT, again
something to look into.

It sounded to me like Chris wanted to present a spread of options not
just one.  I am merely suggesting some fodder for the presentation.

Later,