Subject: Re: Spam
To: None <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Tom Coulter <tcoulter@novatel.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 07/22/1998 12:29:07

> >I used to live in Washington State (now in Idaho,) but I know several people
> >in Wa that run NetBSD. Why?
>
> Washington State now has an "anti-spam" law in effect.  It took effect in
> June.  There are some know suits in progress due to this law.
>
> --
> Phil Nelson                    NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org
> e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu        !gifs: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html
> http://www.cs.wwu.edu/~phil

FYI:

>>Forwarded-by: nev@bostic.com
>>
>>Forwarded-by: Kevin Taglang <kevint@BENTON.ORG>
>>
>>Title:  Man Collects $200 From Unwanted Spam
>>Source: New York Times (CyberTimes)
>><http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/98/07/cyber/articles/17spam.html>
>>Author: Matt Richtel
>>Issue:  Email
>>emailer under Washington State's month-old anti-spam law. Mr. Miller, a
>>freelance writer and consultant, may be the first consumer to
>>ever benefit from any state or federal anti-spam legislation. The payment
>>comes as legislators in states around the U.S. and Congress are considering
>>laws to restrict the use of unsolicited commercial email, and in some cases
>>penalize the senders. To date, Washington and Nevada are the only two states
>>that have adopted laws that specifically address spam.

						...TC

 Tom Coulter (tcoulter@novatel.ca)			 Opinions are mine. Ha.
 Systems Administrator          	 NovAtel Inc., Calgary, Alberta, Canada
"For years, we thought that a million monkeys sitting at a million keyboards
would produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Today, thanks to the Internet,
we know that's not true." - Gordon T. Thompson