Subject: re: systat weirdness
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/20/1998 15:11:58
On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, matthew green wrote:

>    crw-r-----  1 root  kmem  2, 0 Jul 16 13:23 /dev/mem
>    -r-xr-sr-x  1 root  kmem  45056 Jul 17 16:16 /usr/bin/systat
>
> this is the same as what i have:
>
> crw-r-----  1 root  kmem   3, 1 Jun 26 09:56 /dev/kmem
> crw-r-----  1 root  kmem   3, 0 Jun 26 09:56 /dev/mem
> -r-xr-sr-x  1 root  kmem  57344 Jul 19 20:43 /usr/bin/systat

Actually, that's *not* the same as what you have; the major numbers are
different.  At the suggestion of Patrick Welche, I tried re-running
MAKEDEV out of my re-supped source tree, but it re-made *mem with major ==
2.

Why are there two major numbers to choose from?  Does this have anything
to do with UVM and/or PMAP_NEW?  It makes me nervous to think that I might
have the wrong MAKEDEV.

Chris

Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu
           Mad scientist at large                    cjones@nervana.montana.edu