Subject: Re: How many ProAudio Spectrum users are there?
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/20/1998 11:42:04
On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> I think that there's no reason a properly-written driver shouldn't
> allow multiple instances of itself.  Whether or not the hardware
> supports it is another question, but it _should_ work.  I can't think
> of any reason you might want more than one sound card per system,
> but I'm sure there are some ...

I can think of one. You're trying to simulate music which has a large
number of simultaneous voices, like a symphony or an organ. For the
latter, to get things right, you need one voice per pipe. Often the
registration (selection of active stops) is such that one key on the
manual sounds 3 to 15 pipes. If you want to support 8 simultaneous notes,
you'll need from 24 to 120 voices.

Many many sound cards would help. :-)

And the fact that we'd support it would give us another selling point. :-)

Take care,

Bill