Subject: Re: maketars warning.. usr.bin/ar not in Makefile?
To: Taras Ivanenko <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/1998 22:42:27
On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Taras Ivanenko wrote:

: I was about to ask the similar question... I noticed that I still have the
: directories /usr/src/usr.bin/{ar,nm,strip,ranlib,size,strip} in my
: source tree along with similar directories in ..../gnu/.... subtree.
:
: Does the comment above mean that I can safely delete those directories
: from /usr/src/usr.bin? I might have created the source tree from some
: tar files and sup did not know to delete those files and directories.

Well, we've officially switched to the binutils version of /some/ of those
(notably still in usr.bin/{progname} is `strip').  You can remove
src/usr.bin/{ar,nm,ranlib,size,strings} if you want, but a sup will recreate
them until they are officially dropped from the tree.  The source is still
there as a `fallback' in case some platform has trouble with the binutils
based stuff.