Subject: Re: things I noticed with NetBSD on my laptop
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/1998 09:55:28
jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi (Jukka Marin) writes:
> I'm also having problems with the ym sound driver.  When mpg123 opens the
> driver, I hear several clicks from the speakers and everything on the
> machine stops for a moment.  During this stop, I get ethernet receive
> buffer overruns and the mouse pointer isn't moving etc.  This doesn't
> happen with .au files, AFAIK.

This appears to be related to a bug in the ad1848 driver.  Turning on
debugging (audio and ad1848) gets one this printout.

	ad1848: Auto calibration timed out(2)

This happens on any ioctl that sets an ad1848 register.  Mpg123 just
tries to set a large number of registers, so its much more obvious.
During the timeout the cpu is busy-waiting, so I'd expect all sorts of
slowdowns and dropped interrupts.  (Observed on an Intel AL440LX
motherboard w. 333Mhz cpu and yamaha chip.)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht  		<wolfgang+gnus@spam.free.or.die.wsrcc.com>
http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/