Subject: things I noticed with NetBSD on my laptop
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: dustin sallings <dustin@spy.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/17/1998 20:12:59
	Few things I noticed with my Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS:

	apm works pretty well until the machine goes to sleep.  I assume
that's known as I've heard others say, ``apm is broken,'' but I don't see
anything in the manpage that says I shouldn't be able to suspend a
machine for at least a short amount of time.  Where can I find status on
this?

	Is there any reason a sample dhclient.conf isn't included?  Mine
almost went immediately from CD to network, 'cept I had to make a DHCP
config first.  My config looks like this, and should work pretty much
anywhere:

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
        domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name;

require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;
timeout 60;
retry 60;
reboot 10;
select-timeout 5;
initial-interval 2;
script "/etc/dhclient-script";

	I modified dhclient-script to actually set the domain name (I
thought it would, but apparently not) because I've got a neat little
addition to rc.local that runs scripts based on the domainname, so that if
it finds out that I'm at home, it starts ypbind and amd (I keep my maps
and my master in NIS) and it plays just like any other home machine, but
if it's at work, it doesn't bother with ypbind or amd, but may start up
samba or something useful there.

	I created a seperate /var partition, and that really kind of broke
me as I put dhclient in netstart.local, and the critical filesystems
aren't mounted until *after* the net config.  Although /usr is mounted
before if lkm is configured on.  For my needs, moving the netstart after
critical filesystems worked, but I'm sure that'd break somebody.

	I've had a few problems with X (now that I've got it going), but
I'm not sure if it has anything at all to do with NetBSD.  My machine does
this thing occasionally where the keyboard will freeze up, and then a few
minutes later, the display all messes up.  Both happen immediately if I
set xdm=YES in rc.conf.  If I start xdm out of rc.local, it works fine.

	I think that's all the imperfections I've found.  I really like
the new install, and it seemed to like (at least tolerate) my hardware
fairly well.  Thanks for all the good work!

--
SA, software.net         My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>