Subject: Re: Problems mounting filesystems - 1.3.2
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: David Maxwell <david@www.fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 07/16/1998 13:00:57
On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 02:53:03PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> Because there is no non-exportable version of the algorythms used for
> password encription. We use the same algorythm UNIX has been using for the
> past 25 or 30 years. It's also the same algorythm in use all over the
> world.
> All the export-controlled algorythms can easily decript encrypted text.
> That's why they are export-controlled. :-)

That certainly wasn't the case as recently as eight years ago, when Canada
was the only country allowed to receive crypto code from the US. And even
then, it was extremely difficult to convince many suppliers that they were
allowed to send you their products, they just knew the 'NO EXPORT' rule.

Was there confusion right from the start then?

								David