Subject: Re: Sysinst confusion . . . (really editors)
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Castor Fu <castor@geocast.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/1998 17:44:55
On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Dave Huang wrote:
> vi still needs your /usr partition mounted though, as well as termcap (and
> curses?) I've occasionally had to use ed to edit stuff :) It's not bad for
> a line editor, although I think I like PrimeOS (PrimOS?) EDIT better (the
> only other line editor I've used, besides MSDOS EDLIN :)

Apologies for the digression, but a couple of years ago, I read a
William Safire "On Language" column where Safire noted that programmers
would describe particularly nasty encounter with their computers as
having "met Ed."  He then wondered who Ed might be.  Obviously, if
Safire had dealt with a hosed Unix system he would have gotten the
capitalization right ;-)

Since there are no doubt some venerable unix hackers here, has anyone
actually used the phrase "met ed" to describe these sessions of file system
surgery?  Is it perhaps an east coast thing?  I've never actually heard this.

	-castor