Subject: Re: why is partition c always the full disk?
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.oz.au>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/1998 18:55:10
  The problem with going to 16 partitions is that it changes the minor
device numbers for /dev/sd*, etc.. so you have to fix up /dev *before*
you install that new kernel, and then you can't go back.
  So, we can't just make it the default just like that.
  The plan was, I thought, to do this at the same time that we'd go
to a 32 bit dev_t, reserving major device 0 to mean 16 bit dev_t.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |         Firewalls, TCP/IP and Unix administration
 Personal: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.
 Corporate: sales@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca.
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.