Subject: Re: why is partition c always the full disk?
To: Paul B Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/1998 12:26:54
On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Paul B Dokas wrote:

> Why is partition c always the full disk?  My boss is insisting that
> we can use partition c as a normal partition on a *large* RAID and
> I can't think of a good reason for not doing this other than, "it's
> just not done."

I assume this is not an i386 system.

"It's just not done" because many parts of the utilities assume/require
partition c to be the whole disk. disklableing would become a pain if
there were no c partition. :-) Disklabel reading could also get hosed.
Additionally, a number of "whole disk" operations are only suported on
partition c.

> I'd like to be able to point at a bit of code, peferably in the kernel,
> that depends upon partition c being the full disk.  Using it for a
> regular partition gives me the willies.

Look in the sys/dev/scsipi stuff, and in your architecture's area.

Take care,

Bill