Subject: Re: why is partition c always the full disk?
To: None <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
From: Taras Ivanenko <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/1998 15:16:19
> Why is partition c always the full disk?  My boss is insisting that
> we can use partition c as a normal partition on a *large* RAID and
> I can't think of a good reason for not doing this other than, "it's
> just not done."
>
> I'd like to be able to point at a bit of code, peferably in the kernel,
> that depends upon partition c being the full disk.  Using it for a
> regular partition gives me the willies.
>
> Paul
> --
> Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
> Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."

take a look at /usr/include/machine/disklabel.h It has the line
#define RAW_PART 2
which says that the "raw" partition (the whole disk) is the partition
number 2. 0==a, 1==b, 2==c I am not sure if this definition is used in
the kernel for all architectures, check also
/sys/arch/your_arch/your_arch/disksubr.c The include file from the
system directory should be good enough for your boss.

	Taras Ivanenko.