Subject: gui install system
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <nick.maniscalco@alfalaval.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/09/1998 14:06:48
     Anyone interested the option of a graphical install?  After booting=20
     from either a boot disk or cdrom the user would be presented with the=20
     choice of a graphical or text-based install=2E
    =20
     If graphical is choosen a simple XFree system could be brought up=20
     (using the 16 color VGA server) along with twm or another wm=2E  Then=20
     the installer would be brought up from there=2E  One problem I see wit=
h=20
     this is the task of partitioning and labeling disks=2E  I had a quick=20
     look at the current installer for 1=2E3=2E2/i386 and it looked like th=
e=20
     ability to fdisk and label disks was integrated into sysinst=2E  If th=
is=20
     is so then it should be too hard to use some of the same code and=20
     integrate that into the graphical install system=2E
    =20
     The option of a graphical install would exist only for cdrom based=20
     installations possibly=2E
    =20
     Anyway if people are interested in this I would like to know=2E  As fo=
r=20
     the gui I think gtk would make a nice widget set for such a task=2E =20
     Opinions on this?
    =20
     Thanks,
     Nick