Subject: Re: bin/3563
To: Jay Maynard <>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/07/1998 18:43:45
>development for NetBSD/vax. (Are you confused yet? I am...) A utility to go
>through and set ownership/modes correctly for at least the files that are
>part of the OS would be a helpful thing.

Not sure if mtree can do it or not.
However you can grab
which among other things includes a tool for setting permissions
on files and directories.  So you could go to a properly installed
NetBSD box and run:

cd /
find . -ls | /configs/ -hs > /tmp/netbsd.list

that actually produces an install_files list which you can trim
down to be a set_perms.list (first 5 fields are common except that
set_perms allows wildcards in the path spec).

I use this toolset for building machines (esp firewalls) on various
platforms.  See
for pointers to all the doco etc, note that
will provide the most up to date doco.