Subject: Re: Greg Woods - please fix your mailer!
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: David Maxwell <david@www.fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/1998 22:24:27
On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 01:46:36PM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
> On Jul 6, 11:20am, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> }
> } Sorry to spam the list with this, but direct communications don't work.
>
>      Then you simply don't communicate with them.  Personally, I have
> no time for people who's mailers are in violation of the RFC's;
> especially, if it is a misguided attempt to block spam.

ROTFL. I can see the reply to this one coming when Greg gets in....

Greg is the primary maintainer for smail, and he is particularly fussy about
following the RFCs strictly.

I expect the response to be something like:

The RFCs specifically state that an MTA MUST NOT accept a message unless
it can guarantee being able to return error messages. By using a From: address
with a host portion which has no MX, the mailer cannot be assured of its
ability to return errors.

Greg can actually quote the RFCs of course (from memory by now I suspect).

							David Maxwell

P.S. The world would contain a lot less spam if everyone configured their
DNS fully/properly and required things like this.