Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: today's libc broken
To: None <>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/1998 08:17:05
Thus spake Jason Thorpe
> This is important to ANYONE who build libc after this morning's SUP,
> and has the libc w/ pread and pwrite (i.e.
> REMOVE THIS SHARED LIBRARY!  I goofed, and didn't deal with the off_t
> padding properly.  I am fixing this right now.
> What you must do after this is fixed:
> 	(1) Build a new kernel and boot it, otherwise the fixed
> will not work!
> 	(2) Build a new, and install it... The fixed
> will not work with an old kernel!!
> I could change the system call numbers, but the window for brokenness
> is only a day.  I suspect not very many people will be affected by this.

Heh.  So that's why I was up all night.  Oh, well.  At least it's good
to know that I didn't screw up.

> If you are, I'm sorry, and I'll do what I can to help you if you get
> stuck (e.g. provide new binaries for Alpha, SPARC, i386,
> and m68k).

If anyone can get it.  I found that both ftp and ftpd failed.

I found that deleting caused it to use (with
an annoying warning) which allowed me to build the new kernel and install
it.  I guess it would also allow ftp to work.

D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@{druid|vex}.net>   |  Democracy is three wolves                |  and a sheep voting on