Subject: Re[4]: differential scsi controllers
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: None <nick.maniscalco@alfalaval.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/1998 13:40:07
     i think of it this way=2E  lets say i have two 1 gig disks=2E  one opt=
ion=20
     is to use ccd to create a single 2 gig striped volume=2E  the other=20
     option is to use them as two seperate 1 gig disks=2E
    =20
     either way my effective storage is 2 gigs=2E  the advantage on the ccd=
=20
     side is speed and possibly storing structures that are too large to=20
     fit on a 1 gig disk=2E
    =20
     in the non-ccd scenario if one disk goes bad i lose half of the data i=
=20
     was storing (the data that was on the disk that went bad)=2E =20
    =20
     in the ccd scenario if one disk goes bad then i lose all of the data=20
     that was stored on both the drive that went bad and the drive that=20
     still works (lost as in it is now in an usable form)=2E
    =20
     whether the ccd scenario is fragile or not depends on your=20
     perspective=2E  compared to the non ccd scenario i would say that it i=
s=20
     fragile=2E
    =20
     for me, i dont really have a need to use raid0 or raid1=2E  but if=20
     someday i get 5 disks all of the same type i would find raid5 very=20
     useful=2E