Subject: Re: differential scsi controllers
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/1998 06:59:24
>> "ccd is useful only for building large, fast, striped volumes which
>> are also fragile as hell"
> define "fragile as hell"?  Sure, there may be some missing features
> but as far as "large fast striped volumes", I've _never_ had a
> problem with any of my ccd's except in the case where one of the
> disks failed.

Me too - at least when the ccd is built directly from disk partitions.
I did once get a crash when I was trying to layer vnd and ccd atop one
another in a complicated way, but it was an instant crash, not a
bite-you-someday-down-the-line crash.

And this from someone who has a machine that can't run normally without
its ccd - it's got seven 80MB drives, of which one is root-and-swap,
one is /usr, and the other five are ccd-concatenated and hold
everything else the machine has.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca