Subject: Re: CCD mirroring, bogus documentation
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 07/01/1998 16:40:11
Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi> typed:
:I have seen several questions regarding the problems with unionfs.. and
:every time the answer is something like "yeah, don't use it, it has
:always been broken" ;-)  Now, I _thought_ ccd mirroring worked - I even
:advertised it to some large site, but they didn't want to use it that
:time (fortunately).
:
:Maybe the kernel config file should have comments like
:UNIONFS  # does not work!

file-system     UNION           # union file system (UNSTABLE)

might be better.  Actually, I use it all the time (and happily use it on one
production system which has never had a problem with it in over two years)
because I know what the main gotchas are (in a broad way - but not what code
is specifically at fault)

:because some of us may presume that things present in the config file
:are expected to work... :-)

There was a call for this quite a while back and I had the impression that
they were going to be listed as unstable or broken, as RND_COM is, but I've
yet to see any more evidence of it.
--
Geoff Wing   <gcw@pobox.com>            Mobile : 0412 162 441
Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/   Ego URL: http://pobox.com/~gcw/