Subject: Re: pppd/chat hassles
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/01/1998 07:26:27
Have you turned on chat debugging (with the -v switch, and enable syslog
to local2)?  This might give some indication as to what chat thinks it's
trying to do...

I had a similar problem a while back when my ISP started to use CHAP
authentication in addition to a normal login sequence;  chat's debug
was instrumental in finding out what was going on...

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

> As if it hasn't been a bad week already... now I need to manually get
> my ppp link up using tip, as chat is totally failing to talk to the
> modem.  stty -a shows that the speed and everything are set ok...
>
> and of course the link came up fine the other day - kernel,pppd,chat
> etc are all exactly the same as they were.
>
> tip,kermit etc all have no problem talking to the modem (at 57600).
>
> I seem to recall discussion of pppd problems recently, perhaps
> updating to 1.3.2 would help...  but I don't have the kernel sources
> (weren't on my local mirror when I made the tape, and I'd rather not
> download it via 28.8 modem :-), can I run a 1.3 kernel with 1.3.2 user
> land?
>
> Its an i386, but not sure that matters.
>
> --sjg

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |