Subject: Re[4]: Upgrade steps from 1.3 -> -current needed.
To: None <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <nick.maniscalco@alfalaval.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/30/1998 17:09:04
______________________________ Reply Separator ____________________________=
_____
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Upgrade steps from 1=2E3 -> -current needed=2E
Author:  MIME:dmf20@hermes=2Ecam=2Eac=2Euk at INTERNETALFALAVAL
Date:    1998-06-30 16:43

>      A great idea!  Hehe, have someone else's machine do my kernel=20
>      compiling for me=2E=2E=2E hehehe=2E=2E=2E I like it=2E=2E=2E
>     =20
>      Hmm=2E=2E=2E needing one box of each type would be a pain thats true=2E=2E=2E=
 what=20
>      about cross-compiling with gcc?  never looked into it so I dont real=
ly=20
>      know squat about it=2E=2E=2E
    =20
That could be quite messy, esp=2E from the point of view of port=20
specific kernel options (like CPU type) at the configuration side, plus=20
disc space overheads of having several cross-compilers/linkers=2E
    =20
>      This would be quite intensive on resources on the server side im sur=
e=20
>      ;)
    =20
nice 18 springs to mind=2E  This would obviously slow down the=20
compiles, but would make the running of the system almost transparent=2E
    =20
     heh, a good idea=2E=2E=2E=20
    =20
    =20
>      maybe keep a cache of kernels on line so that if you specify options=
=20
>      that someone else has already asked for before, it will just dig it=20=
up=20
>      from the cache instead of re-compiling it from scratch=2E  this woul=
d be=20
>      faster and reduce the number of compiles executed=2E
    =20
I think it would be quite tricky to do a direct comparision of two=20
compiles, and keeping loads on disk would also take a lot of space, but=20
keeping some from say, the last seven days along with their configuration=20
details would be handy=2E  Also, regular builds of extremely common=20
("standard") configurations from -current?=20
    =20
     well how many possible options are there in a config?  after the user=20
     fills out the online form (or emails the config file to the server)=20
     the generated config file is passed thru some instrument that sorts=20
     its out and makes sure that two config files that have the same=20
     options look the same=2E  then it would pull up the cache of the last=20
     hundred or so (say 1 or 2 megs per kernel and it really isnt that=20
     much) and search for the exact match of the config file=2E  then just=20
     serve it up or copy out the src/sys tree to a new home and build=20
     away=2E=2E=2E
    =20
     maybe users could even email their kernel orders=2E=2E=2E
    =20
     if this ever gets done it would make for a cute little 'first' that is=
=20
     of course if it is a first of its kind=2E=2E=2E
    =20
    =20
Cheers,
David=2E