Subject: Re: How can I change kernel on boot floppy ?
To: Chris Jones <>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/30/1998 05:34:34
Chris Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> > Well, I have a 1.3.2 (i386) system and need temporerily -current boot floppy.
> > The most simplier way should be to get 1.3.2 boot floppy and put
> > there -current kernel instead of 1.3.2 one. How can I do that ?
> I've always done this:
> vnconfig -c vnd0 boot.fs
> mount /dev/vnd0a /mnt
> gzip -c < netbsd > /mnt/netbsd.gz
> umount /mnt
> vnconfig -u vnd0
> ...but there may be a slew of better methods.

Would it be really that simple ? I thought that netbsd.gz
on i386 N1.3.2 boot disk is more than just a kernel.

I'm happy to not need the FAT32-capable system anymore, just curious ...

Jaromir Dolecek <>
It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?
One in a million, perhaps.