Subject: Re: telnet problem
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/29/1998 22:29:15
On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> There is a word that needs to be spoken that explains this:
>
> 	ISO-8859-1
>
> TELNET doesn't know from character sets beyond the original NETASCII. I
> don't know if there is a TELNET option for specifying character set, but
> it's something we should explicitly support, instead of "just send 8 bits."

Should there be one? telnet in BINARY mode's supposed to just be a way of
getting the bytes to the other side.

Dealing with ISO character sets, etc, is the job of the terminal emulator,
not something like telnet/telnetd.

Admittedly when you get a telent client for MacOS or Windows, you get
both.

Maybe we need a VTISO. :-)

Take care,

Bill