Subject: Re: XF86Setup
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/29/1998 11:42:21
> We're trying to move toward better granularity of installation - adding a
> statically linked XF86Setup is very painful just to add as a "bonus" in the
> i386 X distribution sets.

It's not a "bonus."  It's a tool which some people (including myself)
consider "critical" setting up XF86 in a sane manner on a new system.

And it's part of the standard XF86 distribution.

It may be "painful" for people building binaries to build XF86Setup,
but it's sure more painful for users not to have it.

> All you need to do is install the tcl, tk, and XF86Setup pkgs, and we're
> looking into adding binary pkg installation to sysinst anyway.  "It's better
> as a pkg."

Only if the rest of the X installation is a package.  Right now it's
not.

A 'normal' XFree86 installtion includes XF86Setup.  It's a useful,
even critically useful, too.  Ours does not.  That's bogus.

cgd