Subject: Re: README: library symbol collision problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stephen Ma <Stephen.Ma@jtec.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/29/1998 20:44:47
>>>>> "Jason" == Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

Jason> 	- rm /usr/lib/libutil.so.5*

Jason> 	- REBUILD ALL PROGRAMS liked against libutil since June 8.
Jason> During this window, a few things will be broken.  I'm very
Jason> sorry about this, but there's nothing that can be done about
Jason> it.

Ummm. I've found the following executables depend on libutil.so:

/usr/bin:
chfn chpass chsh login passwd script wall yppasswd

/usr/sbin:
bad144 dumpfs makedbm mkalias mknetid pppd pwd_mkdb quotacheck rdate
revnetgroup rpc.yppasswdd stdethers stdhosts syslogd timed vipw
vnconfig yppush ypserv yptest ypxfr

/usr/libexec:
getty ntalkd rlogind telnetd

It seems possible to fix things without the having a "broken window"
by rebuilding the affected programs with static linking. This can be
done by doing something like the following on the critical programs
(like getty, login, rlogind, telnetd) after you rebuild libc and
libutil, but before you rm /usr/lib/libutil.so.*:

# cd /usr/src/libexec/getty
# make clean && make LDSTATIC=-static && make install && make clean

Then, carefully move /usr/lib/libutil.so.5.* out of the way, and
rebuild the entire tree.

- S