Subject: VT100 emulation in wscons
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/27/1998 12:40:00
To the heroic users of the new wscons code:

I've committed a couple of changes to the wscons
code in general and the VT100 emulation in
particular. The VT100 emulation can now be called
usable, so I've made it the default in the i386/NWSCONS
prototype configuration file.
Please give it a try!
I'm using it with a "vt220" TERM variable - the "vt100"
termcap entry does not contain all keypad entries.
Some notes:
-To make tabulators work properly, you'll probably
  have to issue "stty -oxtabs" before.
-Only tested with VGA. On alpha/TGA it is probably
  not worth much because the graphics driver does
  only support b/w and ASCII.
-The character set support is incomplete. For now, no
 downloadable VGA fonts are supported, so one is limited
  to the IBM character set. Non-displayable characters
  are displayed as smileys (char 1 in the IBM font).
  I'm not certain about the national character sets  - I
  don't have enough documentation how it is supposed
  to work. Can anybody explain the semantics of the
  "7-bit NRC mode" setting / escape sequence (CSI?42h)?
-No support for downloadable fonts and user defined keys.
-No double-width/height characters. (To get the desired
  screen layout at least approximately, the characters are
  printed at every other screen position.)

Users of the sun emulation: The latin-1 extension does
not work anymore.

best regards
Matthias