Subject: telnet problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1998 22:48:41
Ever since some time between 1.2 and 1.3, I've been having problems with
telnetting between a NetBSD box and a Mac running Stanford's telnet
client. This client used to work fine, and still works great with
non-NetBSD boxes. I can telnet to non-NetBSD boxes and then telnet to the
NetBSD box w/o problem.

The problem's basically that everytime I hit <return>, the shell on the
NetBSD machine sees a <cr> and a <NUL>. According to a discussion here
months ago, that's how a <CR>'s supposed to make it on the wire. But,
AFAIK it's supposed to make it to the shell as just a <CR> - the <NUL>'s
supposed to be stripped.

I really don't know too much about how telnet does all it's magic, so I'm
wondering if someone can help.

Since I'm wondering if it's some sort of negotiation issue, I have telnetd
-D report dumps from the opening of both a problem and non-problem
session.

Any suggestions?

Take care,

Bill