Subject: Re: ISDN TA recommendations?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1998 21:50:18
In article <>,
Jay Maynard  <> wrote:
> Me too. My computers have better things to do than low-level packet routing.

So do mine, which is why I use a dedicated PC running NetBSD as a router.

> Right Way. I personally use and recommend the Bay Networks Netgear RT328...
> for $289 from Micro Warehouse, it does everything you could possibly want,

Packet filtering? IPng? Be a DNS secondary? Stuff which hasn't been
invented yet? _Everything_?

My router's OS is much more likely to be around long-term, and I have
source to its OS. Also, I can get replacement parts more easily, and
have more upgrade options.

> has free 24x7 support, and free software updates for life.

For the life of the company, or the product line, whichever comes first.
I hope those free lifetime updates work out better than, say, the 5 year
warantees on Micropolis hard drives.  I have two of them, dead, with ~4
years left on the warantee.  Not that it does me any good now.

> using a plain old TA doesn't make much sense any more.

Unless you don't want to be tied to a closed, proprietary box. The only
downsides I see are a little more power and space consmption, and the
fast that presently, for most people, it means async only. I'm currently
willing to live with that in exchange for the flexibility.

Ty Sarna		"For many Americans, a season without hockey is	like a Happy Meal without parsley." - Bob Costas