Subject: Re: Funky hardware supported...?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: dms <dms@gooeyduck.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1998 11:30:09
Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

> [Crossposted to port-i386 and current-users.]
>
> Hi, all. Last weekend I picked up a new Intel-type machine with an
> all-in-one motherboard. It's a SiS... um...5597. I assume that refers to
> the board itself and not just the video circuitry. Anyway, I'm running
> NetBSD 1.3.2 at the moment, and I get the following:
>
> Silicon Integrated System product 0x5597 (host bridge, revision 0x02) at pci0 de
> v 0 function 0 not configured
> Silicon Integrated System 85C503 (ISA bridge, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 1 funct
> ion 0 not configured
> Silicon Integrated System product 0x5513 (IDE mass storage, interface 0x8a, revi
> sion 0xd0) at pci0 dev 1 function 1 not configured
> Silicon Integrated System product 0x7001 (USB serial bus, interface 0x10, revisi
> on 0x10) at pci0 dev 1 function 2 not configured
> Silicon Integrated System product 0x0200 (VGA display, revision 0x65) at pci0 de
> v 20 function 0 not configured
>
> Now, the IDE interface works, and shows up, however:
>
> wdc0 at isa0 port 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14
> atapibus0 at wdc0
>
> ...and my hard drive and ATAPI CD work fine. As expected, though, the video
> and sound don't exist, and the serial ports don't talk. I saw nothing in the
> kernel config options that related to any of these bits of hardware.
>
> The XFree86 FAQ says that support for SiS 5597/5598 boards won't be around
> until 1.4 or something, but what about the rest? Does NetBSD support USB
> stuff yet? (I'm going to hazard a guess that we don't, since I noted that
> this support is still being worked on in FreeBSD, and I assume that if they
> had it, we'd have it, in any order.)
>
> Tomorrow (Saturday, 1998.06.27) I'm going to the shop where I bought the
> machine, and we're going to slap in traditional video, sound, and serial
> controllers as an interim solution, until the ballsy hardware on my
> motherboard is supported. HOWEVER... Here's the rub. When I turn off the
> USB in my BIOS Setup, the kernel still detects com0 and com1. They still
> don't work, of course, but this makes me wonder if putting in another
> board with serial ports will work...
>
> If worse comes to worse, I'll swap in another motherboard, but the place
> doesn't have a different kind that still supports a 75mHz bus - I'll have
> to drop down to 66mHz, probably, if I swap. (I'm probably choking myself
> by using an IDE hard drive anyway, so maybe that doesn't matter...?)
>
> Does anyone have any clues for me? Is support for this stuff so far off
> that I might as well just swap it all out and go for more traditional
> stuff now? I wouldn't mind waiting for support, but not being able to
> run X is driving me batty, and to run X I need a mouse, which means USB
> support, and if I've thrown in a graphics card and a serial controller,
> a sound card is a small step afterwards. I'd rather just use what's here
> now...
>
> Answers that come in before tomorrow morning, 9:00 EST, will win a reply
> [...]

You might play with biios settings, something like changing the serial
ports from autoconfigure to manual, I have had to do this before to
get the serial ports recognized for a serial console on some recent
intel atx motherboards.  I don't have access to the systems anymoree
so don't remember the exact changes but adjusting the biois helped.
     Dave Stanhope
     dms#gooeyduck.com