Subject: Re: ISDN TA recommendations?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/24/1998 21:56:41
In article <199806241915.PAA05650@ginger.cmf.nrl.navy.mil>,
Ken Hornstein  <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
> I am in the market for a ISDN terminal adapter, and I was wondering
> if anyone has any recommendations (of course, it would have to work
> with NetBSD! :-) ).
>
> At a first glance, some of the AdTran TAs seem fine (like the XRT).

Never looked at these.

> Also, the Morotola BitSurfers seem fine as well.  Any other
> suggestions?  Any bad experiences with the BitSurfer or the AdTran XRT?

I have a BitSurfr Pro. It works pretty well. Actually, the original one
died (lightening?). Moto replaced it for free since it was within
warantee, but they don't cross ship. In the meantime, and to serve as a
spare, I bought a refurb from them for $79. The refurb units come
with a 1 year warantee just like the new models, I think. If I'd known they
sold them, I just would have bought a refurb in the first place and
saved myself a bundle.

The BitSurfr will do sync, so if somene ever writes sync support for the
zs driver, it'd be easy to find one of those ISA zs cards and write an
attachment for it, which would be a win.

Zyxel makes a TA with two serial ports, so you can use the two B
channels for data separately.  The Moto only has one port, so it's 1 64K
or 128K connection only.  I don't know if that's useful in practice --
most people only want one connection anyway. Maybe for people running
small ISDN BBSes or telecommiting dialings this is handy, though.