Subject: Re: unix define
To: Johan Danielsson <>
From: Trouble Free RecepPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/23/1998 22:50:55
Point taken, several times over.

The problem is not for code that I write, but for code I have to _port_.

Johan Danielsson sez:
 * (I presume I need no introduction.) writes:
 * > There are certain fundamental things that can be asserted such as
 * > the behaviours of certain system calls,
 * Then test for that behavior.
 * > the presence of ioctl(),
 * Test for the presence of ioctl().
 * > the semantics of open()
 * Test for the semantics of open().
 * If you do that, you get code that will work on machines that does not
 * define `unix', or that are infact not `unix', but still has the
 * required features.
 * If you don't do something like this, you end up with code that has
 * more ifdefs that actual code.
 * /Johan

	"Did her eyes at the Turn of the Century tell me plainly
	 How we'll meet, how we'll love?  Oh, let life so transform me..."
		-- Anderson/Howe/White
  -> James Graham, Songwriter, Musician, Programmer and Hopeless Romantic <-