Subject: Re: 0.0.0.0 Weirdness?
To: Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
From: Skeelo <skeelo@white-dwarf.dyn.ml.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/23/1998 05:23:18
FYI here is a quote from the "Name Server Operations Guide for BIND".

           The server-address's are aggregated and then used
      as   the  default  destination  of  queries  generated
      through the resolver.  In other words, this is the way
      you  tell  the  resolver  which name servers it should
      use.  It is possible for a given client application to
      override  this list, and this is often done inside the
      name server (which is itself a resolver client) and in
      test programs such as nslookup.  Note that if you wish
      to list the local host in your resolver  configuration
      file,  you  should  probably  use its primary Internet
      address  rather  than  a  local-host  alias  such   as
      127.0.0.1  or  0.0.0.0.   This  is due to a bug in the
      handling of connected SOCK_DGRAM sockets in some  ver-
      sions  of the BSD networking code.  If you must use an
      address-alias, you should prefer  0.0.0.0  (or  simply
      ``0'') over 127.0.0.1, though be warned that depending
      on the vintage of your  BSD-derived  networking  code,
      both of them are capable of failing in their own ways.

The thing is this used to work... I was running 1.2.1 before and it was
working just fine for about 8 months, then sometime between then and now
(-current) I lost this (I'm not sure if 1.3 worked or not) feature.  Just
one of the many things I found broken when I went from 1.2.1 to 1.3.x :(
As I said this is really easy to get past but seeing as it was working I
would like to see it working once more.