Subject: Re: 0.0.0.0 Weirdness?
To: Skeelo <skeelo@white-dwarf.dyn.ml.org>
From: Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/22/1998 23:20:53
> First, sorry for the cross post. But I'm not sure where this should be.
> I'm running a -current NetBSD/mac68k (33mhz '030 with 36MB RAM) and would
> like to see this resolved.
>
> Has anyone else noticed that requests to 0.0.0.0 don't connect anymore?
> I'm not quite sure when this started for me but I first noticed it when my
> nameserver wasn't answering requests. I had "nameserver 0.0.0.0" in my
> /etc/resolv.conf, that was easy enough to fix but this is starting to bug
> me. If this isn't something unique to my system (I doubt it's just me)
> then I'll be happy to fill in a pr with what little information I have but
> if someone more knowledgable wants to file one I'll be happy to let them
> instead.

	That doesn't sound like a problem.  I don't think you can number a
machine 0.  Just use 127.0.0.1 for your resolv.conf if you're running a local
nameserver.

	I think a similar ``problem'' hit OpenBSD recently, where someone was
complaining about not being able to telnet to 0.  I would think that answering
at the address 0.0.0.0 would be more of a bug than not answering.

--
SA, software.net         My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>