Subject: Re: unix define
To: Chris Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 06/15/1998 04:34:57
Chris Demetriou wrote:
> >I dont happen to have toolchain source here (I really should get it) but
> >I'm pretty sure that define just needs to be changed in the corresponding
> >alpha tree.
>
> No, that define needs to be _removed_ from other ports' definitions.
>
> The NetBSD 'standard' CPP predefines are __NetBSD__, __${MACHINE_ARCH}__
> (where that's expanded as appropriate for the architecture), and
> _that's it_.  That is all that ports' compilers should define by default.

I found unix define very useful. Comes very handy when one wants his/her
software to be easily poratble between unix clones. The only unix/unix-like
system which doesn't define "unix" is AIX. Without this define, one
would add a ifdef for every emerging unix-like clone. I don't see
any reason for not defining it under NetBSD. Or could you provide any ?

Jarda
--
Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>	http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?